If Thailand has Chiang Mai, a city with year-round cool weather, we have Da Lat.
Located in the Southern part of Central Highland, the area was first discovered by a French doctor, doctor Alexandre Yersin, when he was finding a way through the highland from Nha Trang to Saigon. 1899, French governor-general, Paul Doumer created a highland resort for French colonists. Then, in 1907, the first hotel in Da Lat was built and an urban planning was carried out by Ernest Hébrard.
It was built by the French and for the French colonists. So its architect style is pretty similar with old buildings in Saigon, but soon after 1975, the landscape has been changing to typical Vietnamese architect style – messy.
But it’s still a nice place to visit and hide away from the tropical heat. Coming to Da Lat in rainy season (from April to November) there are not many visitors and the weather is just poetic and perfect.
To Da Lat, there are places you must visit.
– Da Lat church: one among the first churchs in Vietnam, it’s called The chicken church because of a chicken of its. Built in 1931, by the French priests, now located on Tran Phu street, close to Novotel hotel.
– Da Lat pedagogic college: Built in 1927, it’s first named Lycée Yersin to tribute to the founder of Da Lat, doctor Alexandre Yersin. It’s strange hallway in a perfect curve is one if its kind in Vietnam and make it one of the most beautiful place in Da Lat
– Da Lat railway station: built in 1932, it’s now the most beautiful, the oldest, the only station in Vietnam has a stream train. The railway is now still in business. But from 1972 to 1975 in Vietnam war, it was canceled for safety reason.
– Domain De Marie church: built in 1940 on Ngo Quyen street, Mai Anh hill. It was called Mai Anh church because this area was full covered by Mai Anh Dao (cherry) flower.
– Tuyen Lam lake: Next to Tuyen Lam pagoda and 5 kilometers from Da Lat central, it’s just a can’t-miss landscape.
– Cafeterias: It’s just a leasure that we Vietnamese can’t miss, such as Tùng cafeteria, Amorphis cafeteria, Cung To Chieu cafeteria, …
– And of course, many others: Da Lat market, (Ho) Xuan Huong lake, …
It’s hot and dusty here, so why not Da Lat???
SaigonStay – All the best a local friend can give you!