Work permit – things should be kept in mind.

13 Sep

For expats those are coming to Vietnam, may be or may be not you’re going to hear about this word, work permit, from your employer. Honestly, not many employers want to mention that since they’re going to have to pay for taxes if they register you as employees with the authorities.

In English, it’s work permit, in Vietnamese, it’s Giấy phép lao động.

You think it’s better to pay for some service to deal with it. Yes, you may be right, but it’s also need to take a look at those regulations and stuffs. Just to know what’s going on.

Normally, it’s gonna take 15 working days. And that’s all you need. But, if you don’t have that piece of paper, a fine between 5,000,000 VND to 10,000,000 VND is going to be applied to the employers, who use no-work-permit foreign laborers. That’s something you would want to mention to the employer in case they forget to get you a permit. For the labors, the authority is gonna have to expel them. That’s hurt!

Who should apply for this license?

All enterprise and organizations revruiting foreign laborers to work in Vietnam, except.

– Those who are going to work in Vietnam less than three months.

– Foreigners who are members of the Board of Management or member’s council (in the case of a limited liability company) established under Vietnamese laws with legal status

– Foreigners who are head of representative offices or branches in Vietnam

– Foreign lawyers to whom Ministry of Justice has issued a certificate to practice in accordance with laws

So where can I apply?

It has a long name, the Department of Labor, War Invalid and Social Affair in the locality where the enterprises locate their HQ.

Are there any fees?

Yes, fees on granting a working license is 400,000 VND/permit, if you are going to re-grante, it’s 300,000 VND/permit and for a extension is 200,000 VND/permit.

And to the required documents, those are:

  1. Application for issuance of work permit of the labor users;
  2. Application for working in Vietnam;
  3. Form of criminal record issued by the competent authority from the foreign countries they lived. In case where the foreigners have resided in Vietnam for over six months, they should also submit the Form of criminal record issued by the Department of Justice in the locality where they are living.
  4. CV of the foreign laborer’s resume, made according to a form set by the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs, including an attached photograph of the foreigner.
  5. Medical certificate issued in the foreign countries; if the laborer is residing in Vietnam, health certificate must be granted under the regulations of the Health Ministry
  6. Legal copies of certificates on professional skills such as: bachelor, master, doctor and certificates on qualifications granted under the existing law of the foreign countries. If foreigners are craftsmen of traditional crafts or are persons having experience, but no formal certificates, shall provide written documents provided by competent authorities of their country attesting to their qualifications and experience.
  7. 3 (three) color photos (size 3cm x 4 cm) with bare head, taken frontally, showing clearly the face and 2 ears and no glasses
And that’s all!
By Trà
Saigonstay – All the best a local friend can give you!
Leave a comment

Posted by on September 13, 2011 in Living in Saigon


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: